Silicon Valley - based artist Eric Bodtker's passion is to create bold and vibrant paintings. Incorporating both the palette knife and brush, he creates various layers and textures that help give each painting its own dimension. His favorite subject matters include landscapes of California, Hawaii, and France - particularly the Provence region. Eric's style has been influenced by Cloisonnism, Fauvism, and Post-Impressionism. And if a particular scene, such as a cityscape, calls for a different style to fit how he wants to interpret it, he has no fear adjusting the painting technique to achieve that goal.
From the high tech world to the Easel
Before his full-time life in the art world, Eric began a successful career in recruiting while living in Tokyo which ultimately led him on a path back to California where he managed the global recruiting function in some of Silicon Valley's largest tech companies. In 2004 while living in Carmel on the weekends to escape the daily hustle of the tech world and to show his dog a good time on the beach, he got inspired to start painting while visiting the many galleries in town and making friends with local artists. Eric always found a way to visit museums and galleries wherever his global business travel took him.
Primarily a self-taught artist
Eric often visits museums and galleries in the US and Europe, studying techniques and composition, sketching, and conversing with artists with a variety of backgrounds. One of his favorite activities is to paint on the same locations where the artists who have influenced his style made many of their masterpieces. For more formal study, he has attended workshops by Cyndra Bradford, Gabor Svagrik, and the late Ken Auster.
They often described his art as bright, positive, and happy. His paintings can be found with private and corporate collectors in the US, Canada, Asia, and Europe. Click here to see some collector comments.
Galleries Which Have Represented Eric
- Davis & Company Fine Art Gallery - Old Town Spring, Texas
- Mook Art Gallery - San Jose, California
- Gallery Saratoga, Saratoga, California
- Fusion Art "Cityscapes" Exhibition Finalist -Palm Springs, CA - 2017
-Pacific Art League's "Summer Exposure" Show, Palo Alto - 2017
- Los Gatos Art in the Chamber Show, Los Gatos, CA - 2017
- Silicon Valley Open Studio's Preview Exhibition 2017 - Art Ark Gallery, San Jose, CA - 2017
- UArt Open - University Art, Redwood City, CA - 2015
- Greater Bay Area Open Show - NUMU, New Museum Los Gatos, CA - 2015
- Le Petit Trianon Show, San Jose, CA - 2015
- The Rites of Spring Show, Houston, TX - 2014
- Solo Show - Orvis at Santana Row, San Jose, CA - 2015
- Silicon Valley Open Studios, Los Gatos, CA - 2015
- Two Person Show at Ameriprise Corporation, San Jose, CA - 2015
- Gallery Saratoga Featured Artist of the Month, Saratoga, CA - 2014
- Multiple Artist of the Day spotlights on Visual Language Contemporary Fine Art Magazine
- 25th Anniversary Christmas Creche Exhibit, Palo Alto, CA - 2102
- Group Show at Ameriprise Corporation, San Jose, CA - 2009
- "Get a close-up look at art during Silicon Valley Open Studios" Mercury News - May 2015
- San Jose Talent Magazine, May 2015
- Oil Painters of America - Associate Member
- Los Gatos Art Association